Sunday, July 4, 2010

Philippines: History and The State

It’s just so funny how we opened the class discussion. We were asked about the 3 elements of foreign policy and it took us so long before we actually answered it. National Security, economic Progress and Protection of Nationals: facts that were mentioned two meetings ago. And what? We have forgotten it? Not anymore, after this meeting, I know these three already by heart.

Our handout for the session is about history. True enough, reading the Philippine history is something that you’ll think as boring and never ending. Ever since grade school, history has been part of the curriculum. When will it end then? Taking this course (AB-CDA) and having the last lecture in phifocy made me say and realize that “Oh, this is never ending and I will never ever get rid of it”.

I am part of the Philippine history and I would want to believe that there’s a need to study such and be able to know the strengths and weaknesses of the country, from the government to its people. Reading the handouts made me discover and remember our history especially how we were able to gain independence. I’ve read this story many times but never memorized it. I just know that we were conquered by the Spanish then the Americans and then the Japanese but anything beyond done is uncertain for me. But as of the last session in phifocy, I learned a deeper and greater view of the colonization and the different administration of the Philippines. My favourite part of the discussion was that of the Martial Law. I have been so jealous that I wasn’t able to experience it. Some says it is best during that time but some says freedom was lost when martial law was declared. Whatever people say then, this era had its own strengths and weaknesses. After the discussion about the Philippine history, we talked about the state, the constitution. I’ve gone through poligov so I can say that I’ve read most of the parts of the constitution. Well, I actually have a book, a thick book but remembering our poligov class, our Philippine Constitution is so long and some of the words used are very complicated. I am even thinking if an ordinary citizen who wasn’t able to study will be able to understand what our constitution is stating. I hope my question/realization makes sense.

We ended the session with the discussion of the Philippines’ political economy wherein there are 2 key variables: The strong elite families and a weak state. We just had a new elected president in our country and I am hoping that through his leadership, we see the change that majority of us Filipinos have been looking for.

No comments:

Post a Comment